Hard Water and Appliances
You may not know it, but hard water can affect your appliances in a negative way. Hard water has a high content of minerals in it, and those minerals can settle in your appliances. Improving your water quality can mean better health and better working appliances at home. By adding a water filtration system to your home, you can reduce those minerals and deposits. Water softeners aid in the preservation of the level of efficiency in which your water heaters and other major appliances exhibit.
Here are some key ways in which dish and clothes washers have an increased life when run with softened water:
- There was a study recently conducted in which washing machines and dishwashers were studied. Each appliance was running for a total of 30 days while performing 240 washing cycles. They utilized both hard water sources as well as soft water sources during the study.
The appliances which utilized softened water exhibited almost zero scale build up. As the report states, they appeared as if they could be cleaned to look like new with just a quick wipe down.
Alternatively, a serious need for de-liming and intensive cleaning was necessary for the inside of washers whose water source was hard water. This was due to the build-up of scale and deposits.
- Water heaters that use gas-based storage tanks with softened water were able to sustain an efficiency rating equal to that an original factory level of efficiency. This enhanced efficiency lasted for the entire length of a 15-year or lifetime guarantee.
- In electric heaters, there will be a decrease in the life of the heating element because of scale build up. This is because of an increase in operating temperature of the appliance’s heating element.
In addition to extending the life of your appliances, softened water can also allow you to use LESS detergent!
Two groundbreaking independent studies show how this is possible with softened water. The studies [PDF] were conducted in 2011 by an independent testing firm known as Scientific Services S/D, Inc. which is based in New York. This Water Quality Research Foundation (WQRF) funded the study. These studies have highlighted how we can use less detergent by using a water softener.
Here are just two of the key results:
- The presences of a water softener can allow detergent use to reduce by 50% in washing machines. Additionally, conservation of energy can occur when by utilizing the cold water setting on the washing machine. Clothes were noticeably cleaner in comparison to those from the hot setting.
- Dishwashers with softened water were able to decrease detergent use by up to 70% when the surrounding area had high levels of hard water.
“Prompt professional service! I have no complaints!” -Heidi Behne Furnish
“When buying our house we came across some plumbing issues causing water under the house. Potentially dangerous issues with the hot water heater that even the home inspector didn't find. We called Shawn and he came right over, found the problem and got it all fixed. Very happy with the quality of work and amazing customer service from Shawn and his crew.” - Alison Clemans
“Great service, very responsive (especially in emergency situations!) and always polite! We love our water system!!” -Davida L Gomez
“Advanced Water Solutions are the best! They have been taking care of my water system for over 7 years. They recently installed a water softener, RO system, and a tankless water heater in my new home. Quick courteous service. I would highly recommend them!” -Linda Shoemaker
“Advanced Water Solutions are always very prompt and professional. They always go above and beyond to make sure the job is done right!” -Steve Lehew
“Great guy, great company! Better than bottled water and it's straight out of my tap! No more hard water stains in my shower!” -Christi Hale
“Shawn and his guys are awesome. Have been using advanced for 7 years. Professional, prompt, courteous and outstanding service. Have had 2 systems set up at 2 different houses and Advanced was awesome. Thanks Advanced Water Solutions!!!!!” -James Langley
“Noticeable difference in the silkiness and management of my hair. My skin is softer and less dry. My baby had eczema and it seems to be clearing in just the week we’ve had the system.” -Keri Ford
“My dishes have never been cleaner! My soap actually foams now! The purified water tastes great, and I am so thankful to have clean water for my family. The install was quick and easy- Will and Jason were so thorough and kind! Love my softener and purifier!” -Shey Anne Brown